Visitors on Campus Procedures
CASTRO VALLEY UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
Visitors on Campus
IT IS REQUIRED THAT ALL VISITORS REGISTER IN THE OFFICE AND RECEIVE APPROVAL TO BE PRESENT ON THE CAMPUS
NOTE: A visitor is a person who is not a CVUSD student or staff member.
In order to ensure the safety of our students and staff, and to prevent undue interruption of instruction, all visitors coming to the campus for observations must follow the procedures below:
- Approval of a site administrator or designee must be obtained a minimum of 24 hours before observing a class. Teachers will also get prior notice.
- All visitors must check in at the office and wear a visitor’s badge before proceeding to the classroom. Non-school employee visitors will be accompanied by a district/site employee.
- Observations are limited to no more than 30 minutes.
- Frequency of observations will be reasonable so as not to disrupt the classroom instruction. Standard is one visit within a week. Exceptions may be made at the principal’s discretion.
While in the classroom:
- The observation is not to be used as an opportunity to conference with the teacher. If the visitor desires discussion with the teacher on the day of the observation, a conference appointment must be prearranged with the teacher before the observation date.
- Observe quietly…avoid talking to students, teacher and/or other staff during the observation. Interact with the students only if the teacher has agreed to such contact before the observation.
- Students’ rights of confidentiality must be observed.
- Do not move about the classroom, as this is distracting to the students and teacher.
- If observation becomes a disruption to the classroom instruction, the visitor will be asked to leave. Visitation rights may be limited if the observation becomes a disruption to the students and/or teachers.
Thank you for following our visitation procedures to keep our focus on student learning.